Continuing to “investigate” (aka drink prosecco and Google shit) the word croatoan the ladies uncover two more mysterious stories related to the word: the disappearance of Amelia Earhart and the disappearance of Ambrose Bierce.
Ambrose Bierce, well-known horror writer, disappeared in 1914 after sending mysterious notes to friends and family. Did Ambrose decide to end his own life, or did something supernatural happen?
We all know the story of famed aviator Amelia Earhart, but we’re betting you don’t know how her mysterious disappearance (which has yet to be solved) is connected to croatoan…
Join the Lady Dicks this week as we have some laughs and talk about some unsolved mysteries.
Places where we found information
- Stranger Than Fiction : Mystery: The case of Ambrose Bierce, the disappearing author, may have been solved by the publisher of a new collection of the writer’s short stories, LA Times.
- “Croatan” and the lore of strange American disappearances, 2016, Lynn Cinnamon.
- Ambrose Bierce, Biography.com.
- Ambrose Bierce, The Famous People.
- Ambrose Bierce, Encyclopaedia Britannica.
- The Ambrose Bierce Project, AmbroseBierce.org.
- The Mysterious Disappearance Of Ambrose Bierce, KnowledgeNuts.
- Very Trustworthy Witnesses, Forrest Ganter, The Paris Review.
- 8 of the Most Intriguing Disappearances in History, Mental Floss.
- Amelia Earhart: Biography & Disappearance, LiveScience.
- Biography, AmeliaEarhart.com.
- Amelia Earhart Biography, The Encyclopedia of World Biography.
- 5 Theories About Amelia Earhart’s Disappearance, Mental Floss.
- Tantalizing Theories About the Earhart Disappearance, History.com.
- Amelia Earhart, Biography.com.
- Reporter’s Diary Adds New Clue in 70-Year-Old Amelia Earhart Mystery, FoxNews.